The PCS moving season is almost upon us. For many of you in the MacDill AFB area this means getting prepared for the big move. Many of you probably already have a PCS To-Do List and use this as a guide to get you organized. It is easy to get caught up in the packing and organizing and forget about the little things. Here is a list of moving tips you may not have thought of:
- Fill out a change of address. If you do not have a new address, then secure a mailbox at the post office or send to a relative or friend. You will want to turn this in a few weeks before the move.
- Notify your utility services a few weeks prior to your move and secure those services at your new home.
- Pre-order new checks with your new address.
- Make a plan to get rid of flammable items. My family seems to always forget this step and then we are trying to hunt down a disposal site at the last minute.
- Transfer your kids’ school records. This is so much easier if you do it while school is still in session and you can do it face to face.
- Transfer or get copies of medical records and do not forget about your pet’s veterinary records. ( You should have these items in your luggage while traveling)
- Make a plan of what you are going to have with you traveling. You should have all important papers, birth certificates, pass ports etc.. with you. Know how you are going to transport them and make sure you save room in the car or luggage for these items.
These are just a few tips that you may not have thought of during your preparation. You do not want to be getting ready to drive out of town and realize you forgot Fluffy’s records! Do you have a tip to add? Please share it with us in the comment section below.
This page is powered by MilitaryByOwner.com your one stop for military relocation!