With the Holiday season just around the corner you may be looking at ways to save a little cash. I recently saw a few articles on tips on saving money and came up with a few of my own that apply to those of us living here in the MacDill AFB area. I was also inspired by recent articles posted on the MilitaryByOwner.com blog. One article discussed how to learn to save with the Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace program. My niece actually took a class on this subject. Here is my take on saving a combination on several sources;
- Eat at home. I used to budget my grocery bill around a 7-day a week menu. I soon realized I needed to rethink that and budget in my dinners out. I also try to find restaurants who offer a military discount or a kids eat free deal. PDQ has recently started offering a military discount on the first Monday of every month.
- Shop wisely. Look for stores that offer a military discount, senior citizen discount or any discount that might apply. For example I believe Joanne’s and Micheal’s both offer teacher discounts. Old Navy, American Eagle, Lowe’s and Home Depot are just a few of the stores that offer military discounts. Ask everywhere you go what discounts are offered. Use the commissary, this is a great place for your bulk items, cereals, meats and canned goods. Use your local produce markets for produce.
- Watch the thermostat. A programmable thermostat is a great way to keep utility bills down.
- Prepare a budget. While preparing your budget be realistic. Don’t tighten your purse strings so tight you do not have any money to enjoy a night out etc.. One tip I saw is pick two days a week that you would not spend any money. No Starbucks Tuesdays could be a possibility.
- Educate yourself. See what courses are offered on base, through your work place, community college or your church.
What tips do you use to save money? Do you have a favorite restaurant or store that offers a military discount? I would love for you to share you ideas here on the blog or on our Facebook page.
If you are saving money to buy a home take a look at all the great home MilitaryByOwner.com has listed in the MacDill AFB area.
This page is powered by MilitaryByOwner.com your one stop for military relocation!